Car accidents are a clear and imminent threat. These are horrible situations that take the lives of thousands of people each year. Guess what – a startling percentage of these terrible events is caused by impaired driving which includes the use of alcohol and drugs. Driving under the influence is deadly. If you are skeptic about the severity of the matter, get a glimpse of the facts and numbers we’ve collected for you.
Here are a couple of facts:
- In 2012, over 10,000 people were killed in drug and alcohol related car accidents. This number constitutes over 30% of all traffic related deaths in the USA.
- Furthermore, over 20% of the same year’s traffic related children deaths involved an alcohol impaired driver.
- You think this number is alarming? In 2010, over 1.4 million drivers were arrested for driving while under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.
- Every year there are over 112 million self-reported events of driving under the influence of alcohol by adults throughout the USA.
- Need some more? Other drugs, like Marijuana and Cocaine, are involved in over 18% of motor vehicle driver deaths.
Find Out if you’re at Greater Risk
Some groups are more at risk than others.
- Young people are more likely to be involved in an impaired driving accident than older people.
- Motorcyclists are also in great risk. Fact – in 2012, 29% of motorcyclists killed in fatal crashes had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% and over, which means they were driving under the influence.
- Drivers with previous DWI convictions are far more likely to be at risk, and seven times more likely to be convicted for driving while being under the influence.
The good news is that the solution is simple – don’t drive while under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. That’s it!